Monday, November 22, 2010

Yarn Wreath Tutorial

Even though Thanksgiving is still a few days ahead of us, we're already getting into the Christmas spirit around here. We'll be spending our holidays elsewhere this year and wanted to be able to enjoy our own decorations for a little while. Over the years, we've built up quite a collection. I only add/make one or two new things each year. This year, this wreath is it.

I've seen some nice yarn wreaths on Etsy, and they range in price anywhere from $20 to $100. If you'd rather buy than make one, there is sure to be something you like. I just searched "yarn wreath" and turned up 728 choices. If you want to save a little cash, you can make your own! 

All you need is a foam wreath form, yarn, scissors, hot glue, and whatever adornments you want to add. I thought it would be fun to use white yarn, as a change from the traditional green wreath. 

To get started, just put a little dollop of hot glue on the back side of the wreath form and secure the end of the yarn to it. To avoid burning my fingers, I actually laid the yarn across the glue, held it in place until it dried, and then trimmed the end of the yarn. Now, get to wrapping!

I wrapped about an inch worth of yarn (15-20 times around the form), and then I'd secure the yarn with glue again. You don't want the yarn to slide around and expose the wreath form.

Just keep wrapping...Just keep wrapping...

It took me about the length of Peter Pan to get this finished, so...a little over an hour? Does anyone else measure time in children's movies?

Now, it's time to decorate! I bought one of those silk poinsettia bunches. I think it had five or six flower on it. Just yank those bad boys off. It will leave a little pokey end about an inch long on the back of the flower. I just stuck that into my foam wreath and voila! Cute yarn wreath adorned with poinsettias that I don't have to worry about anyone eating and getting sick. You can decorate yours however you like. You could glue pine cones to it, ornaments, tie a bow around it...the sky's the limit!

And since it is still November and Thanksgiving is just days away, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

4 comments: