Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Freezer Jam


I finally decided to take advantage of all the delicious strawberries available right now and tried my hand at freezer jam. I may be making a lot of freezer jam this summer. I'm not supposed to do traditional canning on my new stove. Bummer. 


Anyway, here are all my pretty berries, washed and quartered.


You need four cups of mashed strawberries. The mashing takes a little while. And if you want to skip your arm workout that day, I say go ahead. This part is grueling!


Instant pectin for freezer jam. I used two of these packets.


Voila! Six jars of lovely jam. My canning urge is satisfied...for now. I may be borrowing somebody's stove for pickled okra this year.

Strawberry Freezer Jam:
Makes six 8-ounce jars

4 cups mashed strawberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 0.5-ounce packets instant pectin

1. Mash strawberries.
2. Mix pectin and sugar together in a bowl. Add mashed berries and stir for three minutes.
3. Ladle into clean jars, leaving 1/2 inch head room. Put the lids on, and let them sit for 30 minutes. Store in freezer until ready to use. Jam is good in the freezer for 1 year.

3 comments: